Friday, May 6, 2011

Port of Discharge: Truk


My other job is in exporting. I purchase merchandise on a list given to me by my customer (Miko's Mom), then I load them all into a container that sails from the eastern rim of the Pacific Ocean to Truk Island. On this last visit to Truk I decided to re-visit the process of receiving and unloading a container.





No ID, No Entry. Unless the guard and you are tight. As in you give him pallets you've unloaded, and he gives you a high five on your way through the gate. The pallets, by the way, are for the guard's pig pen, so that the pigs don't lay in muck.





This is Miko's Dad's "territory".





5-Star came along to see how easy it is to do Miko's Dad's work.... Or not...






Miko's Dad: 
Hey, Fork Driver, you got my container off the boat yet? It's pretty hot out here, and I need to unload it before the contents melt.

Fork Driver:
Well, my boss told me to get the bags of cement off first... Hey, you got pallets in your can [slang for "container"]?

Miko's Dad:
Yeah. How many you need?

Fork Driver:
Two. Three? 

Miko's Dad:
You want five? I got five.

Fork Driver:
[to the other fork driver] Yo! Set that load of concrete down, and get Miko's Dad's container off that boat now!




That, my friend, is how you get your container discharged in Truk!





But the heat... O, the heat is a whole other story. 

5-Star Scotty:
Boy, this work isn't as easy as it looks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment